March 19 2017 (Goehner Sermon)
Responding To The Deeper Life
1. The deeper life can’t be lived without adversity.
Ver. 48 – When the torrent struck that house.
- Temporal affliction
Eph. 6:12 – For our struggle is not against flesh and blood, but against rulers, against authorities, against the power of this dark world.
2. The deeper life has a point of assurance.
Ver. 48 – The torrent struck that house, but could not shake it.
I Cor. 3:11 – For no one else can lay any foundation other that the one already laid, which is Jesus Christ.
II Tim. 2:19 – Nevertheless, God’s solid foundation stands firm.
Hebrews 13:8 – Jesus Christ is the same yesterday, today and forever.
I Peter 2:6 – A precious cornerstone, and the one who trust in Him, will never be put to shame.
3. The deeper life must have action.
Ver. 47 – I will show you what He is like who comes to Me and hears My words and puts them into practice.
Hebrews 7:25 – He is able to save completely those who come to God through Him.
4. The deeper life is aware of accountability.
Ver. 47 – I will show you what He is like that comes to Me and builds a house.
BAPTISM AND THE DEEPER LIFE
1. It follows the example set by Christ.
2. It’s an act of obedience.
3. It speaks of a new life in Christ.
II Cor. 5:17 –
4. It promotes fellowship and involvement in the Church.
I Cor. 12:13